Australia Covid live news update: Morrison says sorry for slow vaccine rollout; NSW records 124 new cases and Victoria 26
Scott Morrison says sorry for sluggish vaccination program; two people have died following a first AZ dose; NSW residents will learn lockdown fate ‘this time next week’. Follow all the latest news
- Locked down Australians struggling to access Covid payments
- NSW premier warns case numbers will keep rising after state records 124 new infections
- Restrictions: NSW; Vic; Qld; SA; WA and NT; border restrictions
- Hotspots: NSW map; Vic list; Qld; WA
- Vaccine rollout tracker; get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
To help boost vaccination capacity, the allied health workforce in New South Wales is being given intensive training to give vaccinations, and will also help staff the special health hotels. In a statement to Guardian Australia, NSW Health confirmed to Guardian Australia.
“NSW Health is constantly expanding our workforce as we continue to safely deliver record numbers of vaccinations to people across NSW.
Australia and New Zealand have withdrawn from the rugby league World Cup due to be held at the end of the year in England, citing player welfare and safety concerns, AAP reports.
In a joint statement on Thursday afternoon, the Australian Rugby League Commission and NZRL urged the tournament to be postponed until 2022 to avoid the risk of a player catching Covid-19.