Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich told reporters Monday that quarterback Carson Wentz required surgery to repair the foot injury he suffered last week in practice.
According to Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star, Reich offered a positive update on his signal-caller Tuesday.
“Very successful surgery,” Reich said of the procedure. “Best-case scenario. What’s that mean? It means you go in, you remove the (piece of) bone that was in there, you look around, and there was nothing else going on. That was good news, and now it’s all about the rehab process.”
It was learned Monday that Wentz will be sidelined anywhere from five to 12 weeks as he recovers from the setback. The 28-year-old will stay off the foot for at least two weeks, and there’s not expected to be any in-depth reveal about his potential return to the lineup until he begins his rehabilitation. He will likely miss the entire preseason.
2020 fourth-round draft pick Jacob Eason is currently Indianapolis’ QB1 as the club prepares to begin the exhibition portion of the calendar against the Carolina Panthers on Aug. 15. Per Chase Goodbread of the league’s website, current Chicago Bears quarterback and former Wentz backup Nick Foles told reporters Monday he hadn’t spoken with the Colts about a potential trade.