Marcial subs for Obiena as PH flag-bearer in Olympics opening

0 0

Eumir Marcial, one of boxing’s brightest hopes for an Olympic medal, has more flexibility in his schedule to attend to flag-bearing
chores. —SHERWIN VARDELEON

Boxer Eumir Marcial will sub for Ernest John Obiena as the country’s male flag-bearer for the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, a task the country’s top pole vaulter had been looking forward to.

Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president Rep. Abraham “Bambol’’ Tolentino said they arrived at the decision since they don’t see any conflict with Marcial’s training and competition schedule during the showpiece event’s parade of nations.

“He has the most flexible schedule before and after the opening ceremony,’’ said Tolentino.

Flagbearers should be in Tokyo at least 48 hours before the opening rites of the Olympics, prompting the POC to replace Obiena, who will arrive in the Japanese capital just a few hours before the activity.

“I proudly accepted the position to raise the flag of the country I was born and raised in, but there are things that are out of my control,” Obiena posted on social media on Wednesday.

“I am greatly disheartened to say the least that I was withdrawn to be the flag bearer for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics,” he said. “We will still be holding our head high and reppin the red, blue and white with pride. Thank you for all your support through this tough time, it’s what keeps me going.”

Marcial will carry the flag with judo star Kiyomi Watanabe. “We have already informed Eumir about his task and we are very thankful to EJ for understanding because he cannot rebook his flight anymore,’’ said Tolentino.

Marcial, the Southeast Asian Games middleweight champion, boarded multiple flights from his training camp in Colorado Springs in the United States on Thursday and is scheduled to arrive in Tokyo this Saturday.

“Because of protocols, EJ should be expecting delays at the airport and that would make it impossible for him to catch the opening ceremony,” said Tolentino.

Marcial is set to begin his campaign in the round of 32 on July 26. Watanabe will compete in women’s -63 kilograms of judo on July 27.

—With a report from Mark Giongco

Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Swift Telecast is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.