Families of NRL players will be able fly to Queensland on Wednesday after gaining approval from the state’s government to enter.
Partners and children will head to the Gold Coast where they will quarantine for two weeks, before being reunited with the players, who are already in hubs in the state following the COVID-9 outbreaks in NSW and Victoria.
It comes after the NRL originally planned to fly the families up over the weekend, only for Queensland Government officials to request further details before granting exemptions.
“I just need a plan, which hotel, how it will be managed, I need all the staff in that hotel vaccinated, I need all of that work done and they just haven’t had a chance to do any of that,” Qld chief medical officer Dr Jeanette Young said last week.
“Once you’ve done all of that, and I’ve had the opportunity to make sure that that plan meets all my very, very strict requirements, then we can work together to sort it out.”
That prompted several nervous days for anxious players and their partners, as well as scrambling behind the scenes by NRL and club staff.
“(The Queensland government) changed it from initially it was applications as groups, but now it’s individuals,” ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys told 2GB at the time.
“Queensland government is being very careful, it requires more detail individually for each person that’s going and that’s going to take time.
“We also have to prove that our quarantine facilities are foolproof and we’ll do all that in the next two days and then I’m confident the wives will go up there.”
The clearance means Benji Marshall will also fly north to join his South Sydney teammates after delaying his trip last week.
Marshall opted to stay back in Sydney with his wife after the birth of their second child last month, with the postponement of flights stopping him from facing Canterbury on Sunday.
– with AAP