Karachi: The Sindh government has once again decided to suspend in-person classes for grades 1-8 students in both government and privately run schools in the province in view of the alarming increase in coronavirus cases.
The decision to this effect was reached on Wednesday at the meeting of provincial coronavirus Task Force chaired by Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah. Shah convened the meeting of the Task Force immediately after returning from the US where he had gone for a week-long private visit.
However, students of Class 9 to 12 will only go to schools and colleges only for appearing in their annual examinations and all other academic activities will stand suspended.
Public parks, recreational spots, amusement parks, beaches, lake sites and other picnic locations, cinemas, indoor gyms and indoor sporting facilities in the province will remain closed.
Participants of the meeting were informed that coronavirus positivity ratio in Sindh had increased to 7.4 per cent. Shah said that the latest COVID-19 data presented quite an alarming situation as more than five per cent cases turned out to be positive in the province.
Shah said that the COVID-19 situation had worsened in Karachi.
So far the province received 5,87,0991 doses of vaccine and of them 44,65,908 vaccines have been administered.
On July 13, 16,262 coronavirus tests were conducted in Sindh and 1,201 of them turned out to be positive. Some 837 coronavirus patients were hospitalised in Sindh as majority of them are being treated in the government-run healthcare facilities.
Till July 12, 356 coronavirus cases in Sindh represented different variants of the lethal virus, including 92 cases of UK variant, 162 of South African variant, 29 Brazilian, and 66 cases of Indian variant.