At times, the QuickBooks Desktop screen freezes in its operations with error messages popping up on the screen as QuickBooks has stopped working, QuickBooks won’t open or QuickBooks not responding when opening company file. This can be quite frustrating for you but it is just another QBs typical issue and you are looking to diagnose it at the earliest. Then you have arrived at the right place & at the perfect moment as we are about to start our article quoting all your QuickBooks won’t open problems and their quick and detailed solutions. Read with us and we will learn together.
QuickBooks Not Responding: Causes for Occurrence
In case you are facing the issue of QuickBooks Not working, then the causes that might trigger this problem in your system are listed below.
- The company file name exceeds the character limit.
- Damaged, corrupted or lost QBWUSER.INI file.
- Hard drive may be corrupted.
- Damaged QuickBooks Desktop installation.
- Damaged and pirated Windows OS.
- Installation problems & errors.
Indicators of QuickBooks Stopped Working Error
If you can self-detect the existence of the wont open problem early, then you save your valuable time in quickly resolving it. Here is the list of symptoms.
- Instant and frequent shut down of the PC.
- The desktop screen freezes and becomes unresponsive.
- The QuickBooks Application software halts in its operations and is unable to take your input commands
- QuickBooks will not open.
- The input devices no longer function properly.
QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File: Repairing Methods to Follow
This problem is easily fixable and you just need to carry the stepwise directions given below. But before carrying out the solutions keep this in mind that your QuickBooks software is of the latest available version else update it to its latest upgrade available. Also, the windows regional settings of the QuickBooks program must be set to US locale.
Solution 1: Renaming the QBWUSER.INI File
Renaming the QBWUSER.INI File eradicates the company files list that were accessed previously and then you need to open the company file manually.
- Look for the folder where the QBWUSER.ini file is saved.
- Follow this directory path: Location: \Users\[The user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- After finding the file, do a right click and select the option Rename.
- Add .old at the end of the company file name like QBWUSER.ini.old.
- Also, you need to rename the file EntitlementDataStore.ecml
- If the program opens after the QBWUSER.ini or EntitlementDataStore.ecml rename, check if you can access a sample company file.
- If you can open the sample file and you still cannot open your own company file, then copy the file to a different folder location and access it from the new folder location.
- In case the company file opens from the new folder location, the problem may be due to a damaged folder or folder permissions.
- If you still cannot log into your company file, then verify if the company file is corrupted.
- Try to restore a backup of that file.
- If you cannot open the sample company file or QuickBooks doesn’t work, the trouble can be within the QuickBooks installation.
Solution 2: Uninstall and Reinstall via the Clean Install Tool
- Tap on the Start Menu.
- Access the Control Panel and then the option of Uninstall a program.
- Then choose the QuickBooks Application and then the option named Uninstall/Change the App.
- Hit on the option of Uninstall and delete it from your system.
- After the above steps, download the QuickBooks clean install tool via the online website of Intuit and then make use of the tool.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Choose the latest QuickBooks version and then click on continue.
- Tap on OK and install QuickBooks again.
- Finally, launch the QBs software and check for the prevalence of this error.
Solution 3: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- First, download the QBs Install tool and then carry out the installation process.
- Visit the official Intuit website and then look out for the tool to download.
- After downloading, click on the exe file: exe.
- Tap on Next and then follow the screen instructions.
- On the License Agreement window, choose Yes.
- After QB tool install, restart the system.
- Exit all the active programs on your system and open the tool.
- Run the Install Diagnostic tool and it will scan the system and fix all the ongoing issues and checks for the components and their updates.
- At last, reboot the PC.
Solution 4: Access the Company File from a Different Folder Location
Firstly, use the Windows + E keys on the keyboard to access the computer window.
- Look out for the data file with a .qbw file extension.
- While looking out for the file located on a network server, go to the network drive where the data file is located.
- Do a right-click and choose the option Copy after getting your company file.
- Now, Go to the C: Drive.
- Create a new folder and rename the folder as QBTEST.
- Now Access this new QBTEST folder and paste the company file here.
- Launch QuickBooks while holding the CTRL key together.
- Choose Restore “An Existing Company” via the C:\QBTEST folder that you have just created
- Lastly, access the company file that you copied within the QBTEST folder.
On our behalf, this article presents the best of our efforts to aid you in your problems of QuickBooks not responding or QuickBooks won’t open issues. We have provided all the related aspects and easy detailed solutions, and hope you are no longer in any sort of trouble. It is time to part ways with each other but if you feel content with us, visit our website and find further assistance by going through other QuickBooks-related articles.