South Australia in lockdown restrictions from 6PM on Tuesday after Steven Marshall reports fifth new SA COVID-19 case
South Australia will go into seven-day lockdown from 6pm Tuesday after recording its fifth COVID-19 case.
Premier Steven Marshall announced the new restrictions on Tuesday morning after announcing the latest coronavirus case was a person who dined at The Greek on Halifax on Saturday night.
Marshall confirmed the diner tested positive to the Delta variant.
“This is the delta variant we are dealing with here in South Australia,” he said.
“If we let this run too much longer, we could be in an extended lockdown situation in South Australia.
“We have to act decisively, we have to act quickly”.
SA lockdown restrictions
There are five reasons residents can leave their home, including:
- for care and compassion reasons
- for essential work
- to purchase essential goods, such as food
- for medical reasons, including COVID-19 vaccination and testing
- for exercise, limited to two people per household
The news comes hours after the state began a round of tough new restrictions and authorities race to contain an outbreak of infections amid a growing list of exposure sites.
Earlier on Monday, Marshall told Adelaide radio 5AA ahead of the official briefing on Tuesday the fourth case identified overnight was a man who’s a close contact of the elderly man and was already in quarantine.
An 81-year-old man who entered the country from Argentina, his daughter and another two men were confirmed to be positive for COVID-19 on Monday.
Marshall also said more testing sites would open in Adelaide on Thursday amid long queues at testing facilities on Monday and early Tuesday.
The outbreak has plunged thousands of people into quarantine with the list of more than a dozen exposure sites including at least four major shopping centres in Adelaide’s north and northeastern suburbs.
“We only have one chance to get this right. Our focus from day one has been to go hard and to go early to minimise the level of disruption,” Marshall said on Monday.
“We’ve got to respond quickly.”
Late on Monday, multiple new exposure sites linked to a person with COVID-19 were revealed, including a Coles supermarket at the Greenacres Shopping Centre in Adelaide’s northeast and a number of retail shops and a TAB at Munno Para in the north.
SA COVID-19 cases
The elderly man had returned to Australia via NSW, where he spent 14 days in quarantine.
He returned to SA on July 8 and presented to a suburban hospital over the weekend after developing symptoms, and was later admitted.
Adelaide’s other positive cases have been transferred to the Tom’s Court Hotel which is used to quarantine all those with an active infection.
“We don’t draw any conclusions as to where this infection came from. We simply don’t know and it is very early days,” Marshall said on Monday.
“Our primary concern at the moment is putting everyone who may have come into contact with this person into quarantine as soon as possible.”
– with AAP