Greater Sydney’s lockdown will be extended for at least another two weeks.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian made the announcement on Wednesday after confirming 97 new cases of COVID-19.
Watch the video above to see Berejiklian’s announcement
The lockdown is now set to extend until at least July 30.
Greater Sydney has been in lockdown since June 26, with residents given only four reasons to leave their home.
The lockdown covers all regions of Sydney, as well as the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour.
Restrictions in regional NSW will remain unchanged and students will continue to learn from home.
Berejiklian said the situation will be re-assessed in two weeks and a further announcement will be made then on the future of the lockdown.
“I want to thank the community for your patience,” the premier said upon announcing the lockdown extension.
“We are all in this together, because no matter where we live or what our circumstances, the virus could come to us.
“We don’t know how people are moving around, we don’t know exactly what contact people have had.
“That’s why it’s important for all of us to stay at home unless we absolutely have to leave the house and for all of us to follow the health advice.”
For the lockdown to end, Berejiklian said the number of new cases that have been infectious in the community needs to be as close to zero as possible.
The number of people moving about also needs to come down, Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant added.
“We need to take this seriously and contemplate our need to leave the home.
“We have seen some response but it needs to be better.
“We are saying that the stay-at-home (order) is to stay within your household group.
“It is not to visit another family member or have another family member in the house.
“We need less mobility to get a handle on this. We need to decrease mobility overall, but also ensure that we very much address that household transmission risk.”
NSW COVID-19 update
Of the new 97 cases, 24 had been infectious in the community and most of the new cases were confirmed in Sydney’s south west.
There was no immediate source of infection for 36 of the new cases, while 45 were household contacts.
More than 65,000 people came forward for testing on Wednesday.