Victoria COVID cases: DHS announces another 19 local cases amid fears lockdown will be extended
Victoria’s COVID outbreak has worsened as fears the new cases and exposure sites will result in the state’s five-day lockdown being extended.
Another 19 local cases of the virus were recorded on Saturday, all of which are linked to the current outbreak.
See NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s latest COVID update in the video above
More than 47,000 people came forward for tests in the 24 hours to midnight on Friday.
Two of the new cases are teachers from Trinity Grammar.
Four schools have so far been impacted by the outbreak, with thousands of students being forced into isolation.
Victoria has begun battling on day two of its latest COVID-19 lockdown as health authorities race to keep up with “fleeting transmission” of the virus.
“Again we’re back in the world of very fleeting transmission,” COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar told reporters.
DH exposure sites
The state is dealing with more than 160 exposure sites including the MCG and public transport, with 1500 primary close contacts and 5000 secondary contacts self-isolating.
A Melbourne construction site and several venues on Phillip Island have also been impacted.
You can click here to see the latest on Victoria’s coronavirus exposure sites.
Extended lockdown looming
The lockdown will run until at least Tuesday, and Premier Daniel Andrews has said he is certain Victorians will rise to the challenge as they have before.
But there are also fears Victoria’s lockdown restrictions are likely to be extended as the state grapples with the growing number of coronavirus cases and exposure sites.
The rules applied during last month’s lockdown have been reimposed, including the five reasons to leave home, a 5km travel limit for exercise and shopping, and compulsory mask-wearing indoors and outdoors.
With the outbreak seemingly confined the Melbourne and Geelong regions, the Victorian opposition has questioned the government’s rationale for locking down far flung areas of the state.
Liberal leader Michael O’Brien on Friday called for more information on the reasons for the decision.