WATCH LIVE: Steven Marshall press conference today with COVID-19 update on new cases and exposure sites
Authorities are warning South Australians to remain vigilant to the threat of COVID-19 as the state’s coronavirus cluster continues to grow.
Premier Steven Marshall on Thursday announced two new cases linked to a superspreader event at the Tenafeate Creek winery at Yattalunga on Sunday.
South Australia’s authorities are expected to provide a COVID-19 update on Friday. Watch the press conference LIVE in the video player BELOW.
At least five other cases are linked to the winery as the state’s outbreak swells to 14 cases.
South Australia’s second superspreader site is The Greek on Halifax restaurant in Adelaide, where a number of infected people dined last Saturday.
SA COVID-19 cases
SA’s virus cluster is linked to an 81-year-old man who recently arrived in Australia from Argentina and was quarantined in Sydney before travelling to Adelaide, where he tested positive.
Genomic testing has confirmed the man became infected while in Sydney, not while in Argentina.
The two new cases announced on Thursday are a brother and sister who attended the Tenafeate Creek winery.
The parents of the siblings, who are aged in their 20s, were also at the winery at the exposure time and have so far tested negative.
New lockdown restrictions
Marshall said he was grateful the state went into lockdown on Tuesday and thanked residents for abiding by the stay-at-home orders.
“I’m extraordinarily hopeful that we can stop the spread of this disease over the seven-day lockdown period,” he said.
“If people don’t need to leave home, don’t do it at the moment.”
During the week-long lockdown, which started on Tuesday evening, South Australians will only be allowed out for five reasons:
- to provide essential care
- to seek medical assistance
- to buy essential food and other goods
- for essential work
- to exercise
They must also wear masks when outside their homes.
Schools have closed along with most retail outlets and all construction work has ceased.
SA exposure sites
South Australia’s list of COVID-19 exposure sites continues to grow, raising fears of more virus cases as authorities grapple with the latest outbreak.
The number of sites of concern is heading towards 100 with the Seppeltsfield Winery in the Barossa Valley and a TAFE college in Adelaide among the latest to join the list.
The growing number of locations has meant thousands of people are now in home quarantine with requirements to have three virus tests as the state heads into the third full day of its week-long lockdown.
Click here to see the latest SA COVID-19 exposure sites.
– with AAP